Since I was released into the business world, I decided to make it one of my goals to find and shop at small businesses. When you shop at small businesses, you’re helping the local economy and the families that run the business. Your dollars actually make an impact each time you decided to shop small. Although it is sometimes easier said than done, here are a few ways to make shopping small easier.
Find Unique Pieces from the Comfort of Your Home
Lets face it, sometimes shopping small can be inconvenient. Thankfully, e-commerce stores like Etsy make it easier for you to find unique pieces from the comfort of your home. I’ve been getting in the habit of scrolling aimlessly on Etsy and finding really unique pieces.
Small Stores to Check Out
- Kaju Creations– Mariana creates beautiful, handmade pieces that make people stop and look twice. I love these earrings because they’re super lightweight but they’re big and bold. Plus, they come in gorgeous colors and metals.
- Dwell (in person only) – Located in the heart of New Haven, Connecticut is a store filled with endless gems. Personally, I have to rings from this adorable store that I wear every day. One is a spinner ring that helps calm my nerves during a presentation or interview and the other one is a quirky, studded ring.
- Treefort Naturals – If you’re looking for natural soap that is as pretty as it smells, turned to Treefort Naturals. These soaps are one of a kind and fill my heart with joy. I have been using them ever since I found out Dove tests on animals and have loved the switch. Plus, they’re all made in Connecticut!
- Java Skin Care – I’ve talked about Java Skin Care on the blog before and I can’t stop talking about them. The owner is such a kind spirited individual and it radiates through the company’s philosophy – clean skincare. If you’re looking for oils or serums this is the place to go.
- Bees Wrap – I’ve talked about Bees Wrap in a lengthy post here, but I continue to love their idea to get rid of single-use plastic. This is something I’m continuing to try and get better at.
- Bluebird Home Decor (In person only) – A few years ago, I stumbled across this adorable store in Troy, New York (they recently relocated to Schenectady, NY). They have countless things for your home and jewelry collection that makes your heart sing. Definitely one of my favorite small shops.
Instagram is the Best Tool
I’ve found so many great things just through seeing a few postings on Instagram. If you look through hash tags, specifically small businesses in your state, you can find unique stores to shop. It is all about keeping an open mind. Plus, sometimes finding these places is half the adventure.
What are some of your favorite small businesses? Let me know in the comments down below.