The Importance of Shopping Small
Since I was released into the business world, I decided to make it one of my goals to find and shop at small businesses. When you shop at small businesses, you’re helping the local economy and the families that run the business. Your dollars actually make an impact each time you decided to shop small. Although it is sometimes easier said than done, here are a few ways to make shopping small easier.
Find Unique Pieces from the Comfort of Your Home
Lets face it, sometimes shopping small can be inconvenient. Thankfully, e-commerce stores like Etsy make it easier for you to find unique pieces from the comfort of your home. I’ve been getting in the habit of scrolling aimlessly on Etsy and finding really unique pieces.
Small Stores to Check Out
- Kaju Creations– Mariana creates beautiful, handmade pieces that make people stop and look twice. I love these earrings because they’re super lightweight but they’re big and bold. Plus, they come in gorgeous colors and metals.
- Dwell (in person only) – Located in the heart of New Haven, Connecticut is a store filled with endless gems. Personally, I have to rings from this adorable store that I wear every day. One is a spinner ring that helps calm my nerves during a presentation or interview and the other one is a quirky, studded ring.
- Treefort Naturals – If you’re looking for natural soap that is as pretty as it smells, turned to Treefort Naturals. These soaps are one of a kind and fill my heart with joy. I have been using them ever since I found out Dove tests on animals and have loved the switch. Plus, they’re all made in Connecticut!
- Java Skin Care – I’ve talked about Java Skin Care on the blog before and I can’t stop talking about them. The owner is such a kind spirited individual and it radiates through the company’s philosophy – clean skincare. If you’re looking for oils or serums this is the place to go.
- Bees Wrap – I’ve talked about Bees Wrap in a lengthy post here, but I continue to love their idea to get rid of single-use plastic. This is something I’m continuing to try and get better at.
- Bluebird Home Decor (In person only) – A few years ago, I stumbled across this adorable store in Troy, New York (they recently relocated to Schenectady, NY). They have countless things for your home and jewelry collection that makes your heart sing. Definitely one of my favorite small shops.
Instagram is the Best Tool
I’ve found so many great things just through seeing a few postings on Instagram. If you look through hash tags, specifically small businesses in your state, you can find unique stores to shop. It is all about keeping an open mind. Plus, sometimes finding these places is half the adventure.
What are some of your favorite small businesses? Let me know in the comments down below.
Instagram | BlogLovin’ | Facebook
Instagram has been so helpful for finding small businesses! Those earrings are gorgeous!
Jeans and a Teacup
I couldn’t agree more! I love seeing new ones pop up on my feed! Thank you so much for your kind words.
This is so important to keep in mind! Buying from small businesses is so great! Thanks for sharing some!
Thank you so much! I love finding small businesses because they always carry such unique items!
I did PR for a business development center who helps small businesses, so it’s always been something that’s important to me! Some of my favorite pieces are from small business owners! Also, those Kaju Creations are beautiful – checking them out right now!!
Oh my goodness, that is such a wonderful job! I bet it was so much fun helping small businesses reach their goals. Thank you so much, Lauren!
I love so much this idea and it’s so important. I also try to support local businesses , and btw I love those earrings!
Oh my goodness, I love hearing that Dasynka! I think it’s such an important thing we need to remember to do!
Love this! Thank you so much for sharing! I was just thinking the same! I love to discover all new small brands that have such nice items. But problem is, I would like them all kinda to be in one place. So I started to discover brands on IG and then save them in my folder :)) I think it’s very important to support small brands and businesses!
I am so, so happy to hear that Bri! Having a folder on Instagram is a great way to remember to shop at small places. I like to shop on Etsy for small brands because they all are on the same ecommerce store. It’s a great way to find unique digs!
Those earrings are so cuuute!! Love that you’re touching on this topic because it’s so important.
Thank you SO much Shirley!
Beautiful earrings. Some time ago I was wondering how to support small business and I came up with this idea that I would buy the birthday presents for my girlfriends in small business. This way I’m both supporting local designers and artisans and giving away unique gifts. So, that’s my tip!
Oh my goodness, I love that! I’m definitely going to have to start incorporating this into my life.
I don’t often shop on Etsy, but I do love supporting small businesses by visiting the local ones in my city in person! I love aimlessly walking around neighbourhoods and discovering new shops 🙂 -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s
Now that I’m moving to NYC I cannot wait to find small businesses to shop at! I love exploring and finding those hidden gems!
Totally agree- supporting small businesses is such a great practice! And you can find some unique gems- like these statement earrings you’re wearing! Gorgeous on you!
Le Stylo Rouge
Thank you so much, Ashley! I think it’s the best way to find unique things!
Great tip on finding small businesses through hashtags on ig! Those earrings look adorable and supporting local businesses whenever possible is always a good feeling <3
Thank you so much, Jessy! I’ve had great success with instagram. I hope more and more bloggers support small businesses so we can help them out!
Love these earrings. I totally agree in supporting small businesses.
Thank you so much! Where we spend our dollars matters and I think we can really make a difference by supporting small businesses.
Caterina / 35mminstyle
great tips here! I always love some original pieces, fast fashion is channelling too much of the fashion industry.
Cate // 35mminstyle
I couldn’t agree more, Cate. I love adding new pieces that are one of a kind to spice up an outfit.